Monday 6 June 2016

The Walking Dead

Many of us young people have watched the Walking Dead series. I guess all of us are intrigued by life, death, resurrection and the death of the zombies. By the way, my favourite part of that series was when the good guys found a prison, they kept themselves locked in, and kept the zombies locked out.. This is not a new phenomenon. Have you ever wondered who the series was based on? I think it was based on Lazarus, the guy Jesus raised from the dead. You don't believe me?


Let’s look at John 12:1, 9-11 " Then, six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus was who had been dead, whom He had raised from the dead. Now a great many of the Jews knew that He was there; and they came, not for Jesus’ sake only, but that they might also see Lazarus, whom He had raised from the dead. But the chief priests plotted to put Lazarus to death also, because on account of him many of the Jews went away and believed in Jesus."

I guess Lazarus must have had mixed emotions about the whole thing. He died, rose again, and was now facing a plot against his life again. He also must have been the most confident guy ever. I mean if I was Lazarus, I would take comfort in the knowledge that I'm that disciple loved by Jesus Christ. I would not even worry about another plot against my life. Why? If the Jews killed Lazarus again but kept Jesus alive (or even killed him so he could rise on the 3rd day), then Lazarus was still guaranteed resurrection.

John 11:25-26 reads: Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

I wish that we could all be as confident as Lazarus. Jesus came for this very thing, that we might have life and life more abundantly. He came that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. The truth is, this mortal body is going to perish eventually. I pray that on that day, we can have Lazarus' confidence. The confidence of Eternal Life that is given freely to us through faith in Christ. John 17:3 says "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent."

My Peace I give you - Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment