Thursday 7 July 2016

#Throwback Thursday


I remember the days of old. It is a Thursday after all. I'm going to take it back to 1995/6. Those were simple times. I made a friend in class called Phindu (@PSadiki), honestly I think it's because we were both a bit awkward. I, especially dressed funny in those days. I remember we would just rock our chairs in class and make funny noises. I don't think that we ever thought of the seriousness of hurting ourselves if we fell off those chairs.

Perhaps our age allowed for us to fall and not break anything. This was not the case for poor Eli. Do you remember Eli from the Bible? Well he is known for a few things but one that stands out for me is that he fell from his chair, broke his neck and died.

The Bible says in 1 Samuel 4:18 "And it came to pass, when he made mention of the ark of God, that he fell from off the seat backward by the side of the gate, and his neck brake, and he died: for he was an old man, and heavy. And he had judged Israel forty years".

Poor Eli heard that the Ark of the Covenant was taken by the Philistines and he died on the spot. There is a lesson to be learned from Eli's last moments. A messenger came to Shiloh where Eli lived, told the people that they had lost the battle and the Ark, the people cried and startled Eli, yet he remained on his chair, the messenger proceeded to tell Eli that even his sons, both of them were slain in battled, but he remained steadfast on his chair. When the messenger told Eli that the Lord's presence had been taken away also, Eli fell backward from his chair and died.

So what am I learning? That one can lose everything, source of income, closest family members, house, car, wife, husband... As long as you have the Lord with you then you will live.

It really doesn't matter why the presence of God left your life and at what point.. The important thing is inviting Him back into your heart and life while He may still be found.


My Peace I Give you - Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment